Translate

Tuesday 22 July 2014

Death threats forced me out of Eagles – Keshi

Death threats forced me out of Eagles – Keshi

Contrary to recent media reports, Stephen Keshi has sensationally revealed that he quit his job as Super Eagles coach in order to save his life and that of his family members.

Keshi was offered a new two year deal by the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) that worth N168 million to remain at his post following Nigeria’s second round qualification at the World Cup, but he rejected it.
The former Nigeria captain said he would have loved to lead Nigeria to the 2015 African Cup of Nations slated for Morocco, but changed his mind after receiving death threats from Nigerian soccer fans.

“If I remain as Nigeria’s coach it means that I will be putting my life and that of my family members as well as extended family in jeopardy. When you lose or draw a match they will threaten you. I have coached in other countries before and I know it’s like that all over the world but it’s worse in Nigeria,” Keshi opined.

“I would have loved to stay as I am yet to finish the work I started few years ago, but the atmosphere is no longer conducive and I am not comfortable with it. I cannot continue to work at a place I am not happy. The Super Eagles is my blood and it will always run in my blood stream having captained the team for 14 years and played for more than 14 years.  I think I have done enough and it’s all over,” he added.

Reports from South Africa suggests that the 52-year-old tactician may soon be unveiled as the new coach of Bafana Bafana, but he said he wants to step aside for a while before giving the plum job a thought.
“It’s not all about South Africa.

There are other African teams that also need my services. I have not been with my family for a long time.  I want to spend some time and have a good long rest with them before considering the issue of getting a new job.”

No comments:

Post a Comment